Murcia, España: 26-2

Well, since I so love adventure, I decided to embark on another one. Last night, Erin was over using her computer, and we decided that since I hadn't been to the market yet, we should go. So, due to the brevity of time we would have to check it out before our first class, Escritura (writing, in English), we decided to be villainous and skip our first class. We agreed to meet at 8:45 to go early for a chocolate croissant at Pastelería Reina. However, I took my time waking up, and Erin still didn't show by 9:15, so I decided to go check on her. I rang the telepuerta twice, with no response. I almost turned back, but our landlady looked down from her terrace, asked if I wasn't getting a response, and said I should "insist". So I rang it again. A very sleepy Efi answered. She was, of course, technically supposed to be at a class way over at Espinardo at 9, but was evidentally not. Erin was still sleeping, so I woke her. Once she was ready, Efi decided to come with us, at least to eat a croissant...(she accompanied us on our entire tour).
The croissant was, as usual, absolutely amazing. I am so incredibly happy that God gave us taste buds and decided to let us be able to enjoy flavors! On the way to the pastelería, we ran into Heather, (a Grizzly, for those of you who are fans), and she reminded us that class wasn't until 10, and we felt robbed of a little of our sneakiness. After all, TECHNICALLY, Erin would have slept in too late to go to class at 9:30. But we didn't even get to gloat at our triumph. We saw Sophie when we turned the corner, and then we figured we had it made. However, right before crossing a major street, I happened to class across and who should be standing on the median, waiting for the light to turn, but our professor of Escritura. Oi. We are horrible skippers! But we snuck behind a newspaper stand which is, ironically, called La Verdad, (the Truth). When she had passed, we scampered across the streets, giggling conspiratorily.
The market was very interesting. So many sights, smells, and people all mingled together with a deliciously distinct flavor. Venders shouting out "Dos euro, dos euro! Dos euro y nada más! Calcetines baratos! Zapatos, mucha moda, muy cómodos!" I kept feeling like a camel would pop it's head around the corner of the stands at any moment, waiting to be bargained for a few goats and maybe a handful of chickens. Many African immigrants had their typical wares displayed as they do in the "hippie" market behind Corte Inglés. The first thing I found was some rather inexpensive saffron. Good way to start the day. :)
By the time we were halfway done with the market, we decided to be complete derelicts and skip our second class as well. So we were at the market until around 1300 or so. I came out of the deal with some clothes to wear. The same 3 or 4 shirts were getting a bit old, and required doing laundry too frequently. I now have two new shirts to add to the small collection and a pair of shoes. Dad would freak if he knew I bought a pair of heels. He'd say I will break my ankle. And perhaps I shall, but I figure I'll get better after a few months and live to walk again. :D
Now I have the whole weekend to get caught up on homework, plan some travel hopefully, make an American-style Halloween dinner including pumpkin pie, chili, and homemade bread. But first, I have dance class tonight and I will help Laure finish her paper on political science. Who'd have ever "thunk it"? I'm learning a bit of politics in Spain...the last thing on earth I thought I'd learn here. Life is full of surprises.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intriguing Quotes From "The Shack"

Los años del hambre (The Years of Hunger)

The Art of Ant Torture

Starting Over

Transformation- Transformación

Candid Cadets and Glamorous Gowns

El fin del año en Honduras

Who We Become

Motherhood

Murcia, España: 31-5