Mayo al fin...o...al fin de mayo

Today marks the end of May, which means that I am just short of being halfway through my committment here. That also means I need to take stock of what I've accomplished, what my vision for the rest of my time here is, and how to go about it. As I predicted, since I will be staying here for the summer, the opportunities to serve in many/or all capacities are leaping around me, urgently begging me to pick them up. But this year is different than any other in my life. I refuse to become overbooked and inefficient. One nice thing about having so much need all around, I can more easily see that life goes on with or without certain needs being filled immediately.
The first couple weeks of this month, we at El Camino School were finishing up final research papers and powerpoint presentations on Ancient Rome. One of the computers had been stolen from the school, and then Louis' laptop keyboard pretty much died, so we were down to trying to get everyone to work on their stuff on my laptop. That got a bit hectic! We all survived, ended the school year with pool parties and reminiscing.
Lisa Bradley finally made it home after several months of cancer treatment in the States, so I joyfully turned her house and dogs back over to her care, and moved back to el hotel (aka staff housing). Of course, right before I did move back, danger and violence stirred the tranquil waters with their crooked fingers, and our mostly quiet little villages were disturbed by a kidnapping, a few murders, theft, and drug violence. After the special forces Cobra team and the military forces came and swept away a few of the criminals, things quieted down for a bit. And then they were released, again, much to our dismay. But we still remain physically safe, due to the grace of God, and He still holds our futures in His palm, which is a spectacularly awesome place to be, I must say!
I am now housesitting for the Yosts, in a different house, right across the way from Lisa's. It's lovely to have a haven to organize my thoughts and my plan of attack for the summer. June will be over before I realize it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intriguing Quotes From "The Shack"

Los años del hambre (The Years of Hunger)

The Art of Ant Torture

Starting Over

Transformation- Transformación

Candid Cadets and Glamorous Gowns

El fin del año en Honduras

Who We Become

Motherhood

Murcia, España: 31-5