Archaic Attitudes and Corrective Cognition

Well, school is over...and I'm already throat-deep in work. I spent my week of summer vacation with my sister and bro-in-law, which was sweet. I got to play two soccer games with Laura's city league soccer team, (both of which we lost, but we were oh-so-close), watch movies, eat fabulous food, and play a few board games. That, and Laura took me shopping for a skirt to take to Spain. Funny thing was, as hard as I am trying to change my style and worldview on the whole femininity issue, it was SHE who left Ross with a skirt, and I with two shirts. :) *sigh* I'm closer...inching...closer...ACK...PANIC ATTACK! ;) jk
I got back from Lolo on Saturday night, went to church the next morning, saw some old faces as well as a couple new ones, went home, and worked on the yard. And then I drove to work the next morning. I'm getting a new utility truck...one of these days. They dismantled my old truck, expecting to have to tranfer everything to the new one...and then the new one was sent to Missoula to finish building it. "Worthless gummy bear," my brother would say in this situation. I spent most of the morning trying to find everything I needed to put back on the old truck until they decide the other one is truly ready for use.
The past two days, I've been hanging Douglas fir beetle pheromones on all the Doug firs in the campgrounds. Evidentally, these pheromones tell the bugs migrating in to find a good place to lay their eggs that the tree already has too many beetles living under the bark, so they fly on to find another tree. Interesting stuff, but definitely NOT my favorite pasttime. However, it's not cleaning toilets, so I suppose I shouldn't complain, eh? ;) Today, I went around and took water samples from all the pumps. If the tests come back negative for coliform and other nasty things, I can open up the campgrounds.
A couple days ago, I was driving back from Canyon Creek cabin, and I was listening to this Christian family radio station. The music on it is mostly choirs singing old hymns and such. They have some cool creation science programs that talk about the science part of creation. Fascinating! Anyway, I was just thinking of how it was odd that I enjoy listening to this radio station...one of the only ones that hits my truck radio that far up in the boonies. After all, I used to DESPISE hymns...if only for the reason they sounded old and outdated, and boring, with too many verses, etc. I guess when I listen to this station, though, I hear the heart and soul behind those 40 million verses. I hear the plea for help, the burst of admiration and awe. I thought, what is archaic? What is outdated? Fashions go out...and in...and back out again. Why do traditions hold for so long? What is archaic about the human soul? Emotions? They are archaic...and yet they are present...and perhaps a little futuristic even. So I figured out why certain music, Shakespeare, other things that really should be "outdated", "old-fashioned", etc. latch on and tickle our souls. God has placed a bit of His nature us...we our of His image...(NOT vice versa)...and He is without date; God does not lose value over time. And He has placed a bit of eternity in our DNA as well, so certain reflections of His character stick with us throughout time, even though the style of those reflections may vary.
Basically, I discovered that I didn't really hate hymns because they were old, I just didn't/don't like them when they were/are sung without a solid understanding about what they were/are...without soul and agreement. But yeah, I feel the same way about new music, art, literature, etc.
And with that, I think I'll end this for now. Ten cuidado.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey roommie! Good to hear a little about what's going on in your world. We miss ya here. Kristi and I are pretty much bumming around, although I start work in about a half hour! Yea! Okay, must go be professional looking (why can't everyone adopt "casual" as a uniform?)
~Melissa~
Alma de Color said…
I agree, the world would be a much better place if everyone would just wear jeans and t-shirts. :D

Popular posts from this blog

Intriguing Quotes From "The Shack"

Los años del hambre (The Years of Hunger)

The Art of Ant Torture

Starting Over

Transformation- Transformación

Candid Cadets and Glamorous Gowns

El fin del año en Honduras

Who We Become

Motherhood

Murcia, España: 31-5