Fancy Dancers and Easter on the Roof

We didn't have class on Good Friday, although the university has changed the name to "University Day" to be PC. So I worked instead. I showed up at the Fieldhouse around noonish, helped set up for the Pow Wow. Genevieve set me in charge of concessions this year, which was a new experience. I've never really been in charge of something like that before. We set up two lines instead of one this year, and it made all the difference. We opened up for business about 5:30 PM, about a 1/2 hour before the first grand entry. I heard the drums, but I saw none of the dancing that night. We were constantly moving/serving/running upstairs for refills and more supplies. The health inspectors came this year, and we had to set up a handwashing station. At first, I thought it would just be an extra hassle, but in the end, it was lovely to be able to wash my hands in between the chaotic messes. That, and I didn't get sick this year directly after. So I think it helped. I worked until midnight, and then slept for several hours before getting up to pack up a few things in my room.
Mom stopped by midmorning to help me load up my mattress, drawers, etc. into the van. I then followed her out to the soccer fields in Belgrade to watch a bit of Mateo's game. Seth and Caia were there. It was great to see them. Mateo's team has millions of subs, so I only got to watch him play an average of 3 minutes before halftime, at which point I had to rush back to Bozeman, get dressed in something other than my pjs, and return to the Pow Wow. Grand entry was at noon, and I got there right before. If possible, everything was more chaotic. At the very end, we got a little bit of reprieve, and I got to stand on tiptoes and watch a bit of the fancydancing, as well as a bit of traditional. I would love to learn how to dance like that!
Mike and Jonothan helped us with clean up, which was a huge blessing since most of our help left earlier in the day. As it was, we still didn't get out of there until 2 AM, at which point I ached from head to toe, and my brain was on overdrive. I showered and got ready for bed by 3 AM. Jonothan called me at 6 AM, so I could make it to the HD house by 6:30 AM. I crawled up on the roof in my pjs to greet the handful of other students. Joe and Aryelle played guitars and we sang a few songs with our groggy morning voices, and then Joe gave a short message. They fed us breakfast downstairs afterward. We also did a short egg hunt outside, but I just sort of wandered around aimlessly, wishing to sit down again to relieve the ache in my knees. Jonothan and Nick played guitars for a few hours following that, and several of us sat on the couches, relaxed, and sang along to the ones we knew. Quite restful. I made it back to the house just before noon, and proceeded to sleep on the couch until sometime after 4 PM.
Now, I'm trying to finish all my papers and projects by the end of this week and next, so I can go home for the weekend. Seth and Caia will be there for the last time for a while, as they're moving to N. Carolina to Seth's first permanent post. Jason and Laura will also be there. Actually, my whole family will be in attendance. The poopy thing is, however, that I have a mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation meeting, (for my exchange to Spain this fall), on Saturday from 8:30 AM-3:00 PM. So I will only have a short reunion with them. Arghhh!! Why must it be this weekend? Oh well. At least I get to see them.
Aight...I'm off to work on more homework before class. Hasta la vista.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your blog looks very nice, and reminds me of you. I really like the picture of you in your black gown.

Why don't you post any of your fiction? You post, and I'll come up with a blog where I post, maybe; it will save us emailing stories back and forth.

Dare ya!
:)

Popular posts from this blog

Intriguing Quotes From "The Shack"

Los años del hambre (The Years of Hunger)

The Art of Ant Torture

Starting Over

Transformation- Transformación

Candid Cadets and Glamorous Gowns

El fin del año en Honduras

Who We Become

Motherhood

Murcia, España: 31-5