An Ode to My Fallen Friend

 I remember your timid smile

That day in the sun on the lawn

Your thin-wire glasses framing

Darting eyes with a slight edge

Of panic at your new surroundings.


We talked a little, and you 

Generously helped me balance

My plate and that of my boys as 

We sat in the grass, and you

Wistfully spoke of your family.


Every time you got new streaks in your hair,

You'd proudly show me and tell me a hairdresser tale.

We discovered you flew to Butte desperate for and terrified of

A new start.  You sat next to Brice, so you had

Another brother by the time you arrived.


We were so excited when you found Jesus,

We were so proud of you for graduation,

We were so happy when you stayed,

We were so sad when you left,

We rejoiced at your first, miraculous home.


Today was any other day, my friend,

And then we learned poison stole you away.


RIP with Jesus Michael Simmons

Comments

Amanda Cullen said…
That’s Beautiful Kristel! He would have loved that. He was surrounded so much love
And laughter while he was here. Always the first to see grief in someone and drag them
Away for one of his hugs and an Al rightly roo!
I’m so sorry for your pain and the manner in which you learned of his passing.
I know even from Heaven and he is drawing you and I together. That’s such a
Special gift he is giving us.
Always remember his smile!

Popular posts from this blog

Intriguing Quotes From "The Shack"

Los años del hambre (The Years of Hunger)

The Art of Ant Torture

Starting Over

Transformation- Transformación

Candid Cadets and Glamorous Gowns

El fin del año en Honduras

Who We Become

Motherhood

Murcia, España: 31-5