The Cayman Islands, ARGGGHHH, Matey!

Who'da thunk I'd ever end up on the Cayman Islands? Certainly not me! I had priced plane tickets all over, and the one to Cayman was the most economical, though the lodging was not. I stayed at a little guesthouse called Eldemire's. I wandered the streets a bit on Thursday night to find some groceries, and then on Friday to see Smith's Cove and a bit of 7-Mile Beach. My first impression was that of distaste and also of claustrophobia. there are very few sidewalks, private property lines the majority of the beach, adn all the attractions are based on purchasing something.
So I didn't get to swim with a horse in the Caribbean, (though that would be rockin'!), or visit the turtle farm, or go snorkling, but I did finish some work I was trying to get done before I got sick the week before my trip. I walked for three hours on Saturday, and at least half of those were spent walking in the rain! I was happy as a barnacle on a boat! I watched two old movies on TV in the evening and just chilled.
On Sunday morning, Peter Hughes, a friend of the McKenzies, came by with his two kids while his wife was at day two of a rugby training camp with the U.S. national rugby coach. They took me out to coffee and showed me a bit more of the insider's view of the island. Peter works for the RedCross, and he had a suitcase of children's clothing for the Children's Center, (I checked it on my return flight), so I got to see his workplace before he dropped me off right before noon. He took me to church with him that evening, as he runs sound at the church. I was expecting stuffy legalism, but instead found an earnest family of believers who are from all sorts of walks of life. I was stunned by the authenticity of the church-goers, amidst/in spite of the grandeur of their facility. I have been in such humble surroundings for so long, the church building, gym, classrooms, stainglass windows, and stellar acoustics really blew me away.
Peter came by at 6 AM Monday morning to pick me up for the triathlon event he had to cover. I'd never been to a triathlon before, but I must say the younger age groups really inspired me to try one someday! There were three separate events, one for the adults, one for parents and 11-15-year olds, and one for the little guys. Claire came and dropped off the kids part way into it, so I got to help play with them and keep them occupied during the event.
Our last activity before my departure was breakfast. We ate at a little cafe that sat next to one of 4-5 wave machines that generate a big enough wave to surf! I even got to see it in action, because there was a private kids' party there while we ate breakfast. They didn't turn up the wave enough to be a legit surfing wave, but it looked like a ton of fun! We said our farewells at the airport, and then came the short wait to the next surprise.
Samuel and Naomi had a connection flight to La Ceiba through Cayman, and I kept my visa trip location secret long enough to keep it a surprise for them. Samuel saw me journaling at the gate, and thought I looked an awful lot like Kri......WAIT!!! It was most excellent! I'm getting into this whole suprise attack thing. Strikes three and four!
Their luggage did not arrive with them, so I filled out the paperwork and talked with the people in charge to try to locate it. The two travelers were rather weary, (more like dead on their feet!), but Brad, John, and I took them back to the mall area to get some food and groceries, and then we picked up Wannabe from the shop. I took Naomi with me and Samuel rode with the guys back to the hospital, were we had a brief dinner with the Rumbaughs and then retired for the night.
An altogether successful trip, I think! I am ready to jump back into life here, whatever it will look like from here on out. This summer will be very different from the rest of my time here, so bring on the adventure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intriguing Quotes From "The Shack"

Los años del hambre (The Years of Hunger)

The Art of Ant Torture

Starting Over

Transformation- Transformación

Candid Cadets and Glamorous Gowns

El fin del año en Honduras

Who We Become

Motherhood

Murcia, España: 31-5