Chronicles of an Ant-Invaded Adventurer

I love the intensity with which the rain plummets to the scarred earth beneath! The coolness here-disregarding the poor people here who feel as though they're freezing to death-has made my transition much easier. The lack of consistent internet is sometimes frustrating, but mostly everything else has been going well.
A little back tracking, due to the long-time lack of a functioning server:
I spent New Year's at Norma's with a Honduran family. They sang Christmas songs together while I searched desperately for an internet signal, and then we ate tamales and cake at midnight to celebrate. The McKenneys had me over for Christmas dinner the following day, served in courses of amazing dishes, and then we went to Río Coco the following day. I happened to be wearing a skirt-(no heart attacks please)-and didn't bother to change into my suit and shorts when I tried to cross to the other side to join Hannah on some rocks. So...I had a bit of an adventure scaling a terribly unstable gully, in my skirt, holding onto ferns and roots and hugging the loamy soil with every fibre of my body. I was attempting to climb up and over...but to avail. I climbed up, and then I slid/crawled down the same way I came up. I was filthy at the bottom, so I decided to swim across the river rather than rock hop where I crossed the first time.
New Year's Eve, a few of us had a small campfire on the beach and made s'more equivalents and then played games at Dr. Renee's.
I played keyboard at church for the first time with most of the McKenney family, and a few of the rest of staff housing residents returned due to the reduction of the plancha depth. It's not a quiet abode anymore; in many ways, I feel as though I'm back in the XA House, though with fewer responsibilities and residents.
During our first week of school, it rained most of the days, which led to massive ant invasions of the champa and our other buildings. We fended them off with trails of boric acid, but we still had repeated attacks. I think we've won...for now!
On Thursday, several of us went to Bejucál, a nearby river with hotsprings and a couple falls. Louis, Andrew, Nestor, Deybin, and I swam/rock hopped/hiked up to the falls just before dark, and then had to "darnos prisa" to get back before we lost all light. Andrew slipped and ruptured his stitched-up hand a bit, though the stitches held. It was a lovely adventure, though I felt like a wuss afterward because I was perhaps the most clumsy among my lithe companions. I would do it again in the drop of a hat!
Friday, we got out of school early and went into Ceiba with the McKenneys to drop Andrew off at the bus to San Pedro Sula, grocery shop, and go to see Avatar. The theater seats were some of the best I've ever been in, which is not hard, I guess, considering my previous theater experiences. :-)
We went to the beach on an overcast, slightly rainy Sunday afternoon to swim amidst the tumultuous waves. I am NOT used to swimming in waves. They ate me for lunch! Maybe I'll eventually figure it out. I guess I have some time to practice.
Louis and I are working on readjusting the school schedule for our 6 students in order to be productive and sane. I still think I'm learning more than the students!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intriguing Quotes From "The Shack"

Los años del hambre (The Years of Hunger)

The Art of Ant Torture

Starting Over

Transformation- Transformación

Candid Cadets and Glamorous Gowns

El fin del año en Honduras

Who We Become

Motherhood

Murcia, España: 31-5