Random Procrastinating Note

OK, so a crazy random occurrence...occurred today. I was sitting in ICT, trying to cram for my Arabic exam tomorrow, write my final written and oral presentations for the same class, and trying to organize my thoughts on life and love and happiness and then the.....(Houseplant Song, anyone??), when all of a sudden, I was distracted by an elderly lady sitting by herself at one of the tables. I thought of my grandma, and was struck by a strange protective feeling towards the woman. Anyway, after a bit, I resumed my studies, only to be distracted again by a younger woman, (presumably her daughter), asking in a perceivably irritated manner if she would be able to walk out to the curb. I didn't want to interfere, so I kept pretending oblivion, until I saw the old lady standing by the door, alone, for a long period of time, barely able to support her own weight. So I went and asked if she would like some assistance out to the car...afraid of a slip and broken hip or something. And to my delight, she responded in a most favorable manner, and accepted my offer. I saw a gleam of very distinguished beauty in her grateful eyes.
It made my day.
I wonder a lot about old people. I will be one of them one day. I wonder at their life stories. What adventures did they live at my age? What do they think about their lives, looking back? Do they have regrets that overshadow the good memories? Were they college graduates? Did they give up their personal dreams to support their families? Human life is so frail, and yet so perseverant! I am awed at these glimpses of other microcosmic dramas. So many lives, so many pains, so many joys...how does God endure all these extreme emotions all at once, and not shatter into a bazillion pieces of pulsing pain and confusion? That's how I feel sometimes. Like I cannot understand, organize, or label my feelings, and therefore I will explode if I don't find an outlet.
OK, I'm done now. Back to Arabic.

Comments

Jeffrey Sharkey said…
wait, i might know this mother/daughter. was this the daughter: http://web.archive.org/web/20070723161918/http://www.greatlie.com/images/upload/Image/NO1.jpg
Alma de Color said…
Nope, not her...though I recognize her from when I worked with the Native American Studies Office...she and her brother helped at the AIC Powwows every year.

Popular posts from this blog

Intriguing Quotes From "The Shack"

Los años del hambre (The Years of Hunger)

The Art of Ant Torture

Starting Over

Transformation- Transformación

Candid Cadets and Glamorous Gowns

El fin del año en Honduras

Who We Become

Motherhood

Murcia, España: 31-5